Re: [CBQ] CB&Q STOCK YARDS

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q STOCK YARDS
From: "Nolen Null via groups.io" <NNull=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2020 04:17:18 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Doug,

I'm not sure how much creedence I'd put put on the accuracy of that list.  The three that I'm most familiar with (Bushnell, Carthage, and Colchester IL) certainly had more pens than listed.  The list may be the number of pens the railroad owned.  Colchester, Carthage, and Bushnell were livestock auctions, both incoming and outgoing hogs and feeder cattle, and were fairly good-sized auctions.  The thing that was most interesting, to me, was that in that part of the country almost ALL auction houses were enclosed (i.e. at least roofed over) buildings.

Things have certainly changed in the last 50 years as almost all hogs are raised on a contractual basis with the packing company.

Nolen