Re: [CBQ] Walthers Proto GP7 Phase II Diesels

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Walthers Proto GP7 Phase II Diesels
From: "Bill Schultz via groups.io" <jwschultz9=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2020 20:17:38 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Nelson --

Herewith several additional considerations for those depicting GP7s Nos. 200-239 circa 1953.

By (or during) 1953, the relocation of the forward-facing horn on Nos. 200-239 to the top of the short hood had begun (or had been completed); a December 1953 photo of No. 220 shows that placement as does an August 1954 photo of No. 200.  Another in-service pic of No. 209 in April 1952 shows the original forward-facing horn placement.  The April '52 and December '53 images are indicative of a program modification that, once initiated, appears to have been pursued with some deliberate haste.

Several (additional) published photos tend to support this conclusion.  No. 201 in May 1952 (p. 40 of the 2010 hardcover edition of The High Plains Route) with original front-facing horn placement; No. 217 in October 1953 (p. 142 of The Hub of Burlington Lines West and [same photo] p. 92, original [1986 soft-cover] The High Plains Route) with relocated front-facing horn; No. 227 in April 1953 (p. 113 of A History of the CB&Q Quincy Branch) with original front-facing horn placement.  Why the Burlington quickly relocated the forward-facing horn on Nos. 200-239 when so many other GP7 owners never did suggests the possible involvement of the BofLE&F.

Elimination of both the end-platform drop-down steps (initially) and replacement of safety chains with solid handrail sections (subsequently) came later.  In December '53, No. 220 retained the (front) factory-applied drop-down "step" and safety chain; by August '54, No. 200 had lost the (rear) drop-down step but still had the safety chain.  (Several published views of Nos. 200-239 in the late 1950s show the safety chains still intact.)

To paraphrase the Superintendent's General Notice, "be governed accordingly."

Bill Schultz