Re: [CBQ] Color of Wooden Water Tanks

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Color of Wooden Water Tanks
From: "Rob Adams" <steamera@netins.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 14:34:46 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Nelson and others;

    I'd agree that the Clarinda tank is white in the photo image that Nelson has shared, though given that the image is relatively recent (based on the freight cars in the background) and definitely BN-era or later during which lots of structures were painted white, I'd be VERY reluctant to conclude that any active pre-1960's CB&Q-era water tank was white unless presented with "color" photographic documentation or structure painting guidelines that apply to the era.

    I also agree that the tank at Burlington in BB#30 definitely appears to be a "light" color in one steam era photo.  I inquired about that same photo during the late 1990's and was told by at least one knowledgeable CB&Q modeler that it was a silver/aluminum color.   I still find that to be plausible based on how some other steel structures were painted during the era, but unfortunately am unable to provide any definitive evidence to support the assertion.

    Perhaps Archie, Hol or one of the other Q experts can provide additional context or clarification.

Regards,

Rob Adams
Wellman, IA