Re: [CBQ] Aurora coal chute 1868

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Aurora coal chute 1868
From: "jpslhedgpeth via Groups.Io" <jpslhedgpeth=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2019 04:02:10 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Yes indeed Mike..THE NOSE was a location I never frequented while "in motion"...It was always my first duty when going "on duty" as head brakeman.  You always had to go "down in the nose" to see if you had the required eqipment..ie flags, lantern, torpedoes, blocks, chain, spare knuckle etc.  It was..as you or anybody who had occasion to frequent said location not a pleasant place to be. IIRC there was a toilet down there, which I never saw anyone make use of it...including me..however there was always evidence that it had been used and...it was not cleaned "frequently" which was immediately obvious when you opened the door to make your initial descent.

Pete