Re: [CBQ] Burlington Bulletin No. 55 and KCZ ARZ Exhibition Runs

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Burlington Bulletin No. 55 and KCZ ARZ Exhibition Runs
From: "Douglas Hosler" <dehosler@frontier.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 11:16:06 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Thank you.  It would have been anywhere from 1945 to 1947 (using my age).  The Prairie was replaced by an O-1A but I can’t date that very well.   Even though young, my dad (who worked for the PFE in Chicago and was a traveling agent) told me to count drivers on engines (as pass passengers we traveled a lot by rail) so I noticed the difference.

My oldest brother (18 years older than I – he born in 1922 and I in 1940) told me he remembered the mainline way freight being pulled by a 0-6-0.  I would have noticed that from about five years of age on.  For me from the time I could remember to dieselization, it was Prairies and then Mikes.  I do have to be careful with “kid” memories.  For one thing something I saw as a kid usually isn’t nearly as big as I remembered it.  The only reason I am confident of the engines being an R-5A and then an O1-A is that the pictures of anything else in Corbin and Kerka’s book on Q Steam don’t look right and the pictures of those engines look perfect.  And you obviously have much better evidence.

Sidebar:  The curve off the mainline to that spur was rather tight and one time the the rear drivers of the Mike rode off the rails as the train was returning to the mainline.  We neighborhood kids heard a commotion – the engine wasn’t moving but it was making a lot of chuffing so we all showed up to watch.  With the re-railing device that hung on the tender in place next to the rail the crew was rocking the engine back and forth to get the rear driver to settle back in.  It went on for a long time and we boys learned every swear word we would ever need to know.  But it finally did settle.  The Prairies I would assume would not have had that problem!