Re: [CBQ] Louis' mystery photo location Identified

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Louis' mystery photo location Identified
From: "Steven Holding" <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 02:43:05 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I started in the Cicero DS Office the middle of Feb. 1974 and already by that time the BN had single-doubled the Creston Div. from Creston to Red Oak.  and CTC had been added.  The Op at P Jct still had the CTC machine that had been installed at Red Oak and then moved to P Jct.  under the direction of the DS in Cicero.  During 75 and 75 the CTC was slowly put in one control station at a time upgraded and control moved to Cicero so it took about 6 weeks to install all the equipment and wire it up then the cut-over day came along with a Signal Supervisor coming in and sitting through the first shift talking to the guys in the field to check every signal, switch and all the indications when time and traffic allowed.  Course back then smoking was allowed in the office and he had HUGE BLACK SMELLY Cigars.  So the regular guy knew it and would layoff.   That allowed me to catch a day job off the extra list. I worked the job when needed over the years and when the office was moved to Galesburg the Ottumwa Job (Galesburg to P Jct Iowa all the way cross the State of IOWA)was the first job in the new Galesburg office  30 Nov. 1983 We had just bought a new house SW of Galesburg so I bumped in on the job to be the first regular assigned DS in the office.  After all the bumping and the move and consolidation of the Hannibal and Cicero office I was on the regular 2nd truck Swing Job  working Main Line, C&I and Ottumwa.  When I could I took 2nd Trick Ottumwa and rode it about 5 years before the company put on a 2nd trick ADM(paper work) Chief that was temporary for 90 days and paid $10 a day more.  When the person that had it went on vacation I decided to take it and because I had more seniority I kept it on a temporary basis owning  2nd Ottumwa.  Some time in early 1993 the office chief at Galesburg and Lincoln put there heads together and allowed the Creston to P Jct to go to Lincoln so the Ottumwa Job only had Galesburg to Creston.  One of the old heads from Hannibal that had kept me off the Mainline retired So I moved back to the Mainline I had owned in Cicero before the move and I only worked it a couple weeks after the company cut the ADM job. But they moved me to the ADM Job on a daily basis with no extra off assignment penalty to get the paper work done and in Aug of '93 we moved to Ft. Worth.  In to a dun colored warehouse with a cinder block bunker in side(where the employee center was west of the NOC((which was built after we were there))) and All the CB&Q Dispatchers wound up in the same building with Lincoln and McCook move in over the Summer and Fall of '93
Steve in SC