Re: [CBQ] Ash Pit Car Service

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Ash Pit Car Service
From: "William Barber" <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 08:41:52 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Nelson,

Looking through the O2 / 02A roster, There were 52 still on the roster in 1950. Most of these were off the roster by 1951 and 1952 with a few lasting into 1953 and even 1954. A 1952 roster shows only 23 O2s left. The majority of those remaining in the early 1950s, were assigned to Lines West divisions, but a few were assigned to St. Joseph and at least one to La Crosse. Some or all of the O2s assigned to Lines West divisions in the 1950s may have been oil burners. The last O2A, 5233 was sold for scrap in March of 1954. It was assigned to Sterling at the time. It appears that an O2 operating out of Burlington in the 1950s may have been very unlikely.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

Re: Ash Pit Car Service
From: Nelson Moyer
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 09:11:21 PDT

Yes, I have the book, and I've seen the photos, but I didn't notice the date. I checked all of the locomotive assignment sheets I have for 1952, and none of them show road power assigned to Burlington, just the Ottumwa-Creston Division. I compiled the list as shown below:

K-2 and K-4 Ten Wheelers
P-6 Atlantic
R-5A and R-6A Prairies
O-3 and O-5 Mikados
S-1 Pacific
G-5 0-6-0 USRA Switcher

I know Burlington had a ten wheeler on the coal pocket clamshell and a P6 or P6A on the Washington turn. I've read that a Prairie was occasionally sent up to Washington, but that may have been before 1953. It makes sense that the Mikados would be road tested on the hill after shopping, and that they were serviced in Burlington. The fact that no O-2s were assigned to the Ottumwa-Creston Division in 1952 means that it would be unlikely that Burlington had any assigned in 1953. I didn't look up how long the O-2s remained on the roster. Whether or not any of the R-5As, R-6As, S-1, O-3s, or O-5s were assigned directly to Burlington remains unknown, since Burlington isn't broken out on any of the assignment sheets I have.

The good news from a modeling standpoint is that I can run steam helper service up the hill (in my case, up the helix).

Nelson Moyer

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#55378) | Reply To Group | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Change Your Subscription
Group Home
Contact Group Owner
Terms Of Service