Re: [CBQ] Ash Pit Car Service

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Ash Pit Car Service
From: "Nelson Moyer" <npmoyer@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 16:11:19 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Yes, I have the book, and I've seen the photos, but I didn't notice the date. I
checked all of the locomotive assignment sheets I have for 1952, and none of
them show road power assigned to Burlington, just the Ottumwa-Creston Division.
I compiled the list as shown below:

K-2 and K-4 Ten Wheelers
P-6 Atlantic
R-5A and R-6A Prairies
O-3 and O-5 Mikados
S-1 Pacific
G-5 0-6-0 USRA Switcher

I know Burlington had a ten wheeler on the coal pocket clamshell and a P6 or
P6A on the Washington turn. I've read that a Prairie was occasionally sent up
to Washington, but that may have been before 1953. It makes sense that the
Mikados would be road tested on the hill after shopping, and that they were
serviced in Burlington. The fact that no O-2s were assigned to the
Ottumwa-Creston Division in 1952 means that it would be unlikely that
Burlington had any assigned in 1953. I didn't look up how long the O-2s
remained on the roster. Whether or not any of the R-5As, R-6As, S-1, O-3s, or
O-5s were assigned directly to Burlington remains unknown, since Burlington
isn't broken out on any of the assignment sheets I have.

The good news from a modeling standpoint is that I can run steam helper service
up the hill (in my case, up the helix).

Nelson Moyer