Re: [CBQ] Ash Pit Car Service

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Ash Pit Car Service
From: "Louis Zadnichek via Groups.Io" <LZadnichek=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 14:31:47 -0400
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
April 17, 2018

Nelson - I'm at times a little bit surprised by responses to the images I occasionally post, particularly from modelers such as yourself.  Glad indeed that you found the image of CB&Q gondola 75020 useful in modeling your GS-7 cinder service gondolas. Like it's said, a picture can be worth a thousand words......

As to your question about the Burlington, IA, roundhouse servicing mainline locomotives, it did.  The Class O-2-A and other 2-8-2 helpers on West Burlington Hill were assigned to the Burlington roundhouse. I've attached an image of Class O-2-A 5298 on the Burlington roundhouse turntable dated September 11, 1929. Steam helpers on West Burlington Hill lasted into the early 1950s if I recall correctly.  Multi-unit freight diesels eliminated the need for using steam helpers.

In the image, look very closely at the turntable structural steel bracing just in front of the cab.  There is something mounted that I've never seen on another Q turntable - - - a rear end marker lamp.  I would assume another marker was so mounted on the other side. I can only speculate that some long forgotten roundhouse foreman had a brilliant idea to mount markers on the turntable so during heavy fog at night, the hostlers could safely line-up locomotives entering on to and off of the turntable.  Remember, the Mississippi River is maybe a quarter mile away from the roundhouse and river fog could be nearly impenetrable, particularly at night.

I do not know if this marker-equipped turntable was a one-of-a-kind on the Q or not, but if anyone else has an image of another turntable so equipped, I'd sure enjoy seeing it.  As for the 5298, a bit of a mystery with her. The Corbin Book lists the locomotive as having been rebuilt to a Class O-2-A in March 1929, then being dismantled in March 1931, only two years later.  My guess is that 5298 was wrecked so badly it was beyond economical repair, particular with the Great Depression reducing the need for locomotives.

So, if you're modeling the Burlington roundhouse, be sure to add markers to the turntable. I've got an image or two of locomotives using the coal pocket (chute), but none of the cinder pit.  My guess is the cinder pit was cleaned-out by hand shoveling or using a steam-powered crane to load into gondolas. Since a steam crane with clam shell bucket was assigned to load the coal pocket from gondolas and hopper cars, it was probably used to dig out the pit and load cinders as well. Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL