Re: [CBQ] Re: Elephant Style Es

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Elephant Style Es
From: "Bill Hirt whirt@fastmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 09:50:42 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1516117949; bh=U6rYn4XvNbkNJj+cKB6r+riCBVGGVb+8Vsq1j/bYDJY=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=gWALB0g1uTySpJZA3LMFnPn0vIHL64fnfdfsCH2t6nu/JkEkNRKMo/1pqWt1bSwldOi2FgZ3xV2V3YseiwslaJctfRtAVVo5nURMF3AtwMuVCMZFZLg1LJ2FHsj2SZaf3sUpjTOAc65W/pTAUiXSX1/pt+xXfMq/R/WWFLeO480=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Archie,

The E5 B units were the only B units the Q purchased. The Q bought 6
E5As and 5 E5Bs.  In Jim Sandrin's excellent Bulletin article about E
units (Bulletin No. 10), he says management quickly learned how
inflexible A-B consists were. Many runs only needed one E unit and those
that needed two or more could avoid turning the power if there was an A
unit on either end. Future purchases then A units only. So in the end,
there were 109 Q E5As, E7As, E8As, and E9As and 5 E5Bs.

Going back to the elephant style discussion, Bulletin #10 says by June
1, 1957, there were 68 locomotive sets consisting of 98 individual units
based at the Zephyr Pit in Chicago. Eighteen single-unit locomotives
were employed in suburban service each day. There is also half page
table showing the number of locomotives and number of units assigned to
passenger trains as of June 1, 1957. C&S/FW&D assignments also listed in
this table. Bulletin #10 is still available from the BRHS company store
for those interested.

Bill Hirt

Posted by: Bill Hirt <whirt@fastmail.com>

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com