Re: [CBQ] Re: Elephant Style Es

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Elephant Style Es
From: "Bill Hirt whirt@fastmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 22:19:58 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1515903603; bh=Gppi1ov7HHI3jMVmoEnh0r1O8Io+i1lk40ChRKghx7I=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=PQwmxG5wIrZqJeAy065hCWpoqkesr3IJQilTzO9W8vu/oQJn2Lq0cs+/VbBXxJRkhTFuhSV32WK3mPJ+qRR0fQOAuqfifppmYz2uqsAmTMvMesUJNEnO+GnJQcgr9L0sR1xMpXZ3H8UIgK0dmrQZ3BGUvF0Rwzp7E0G+cFy0fYQ=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Charlie,

Your memory is good. The May 1952 Trains had an article on railroad commuter service. It stated the Q only had 2 Pacific-type steam locomotives still in commuter service. 14 E units handled the remainder of service rotating in between Zephyr runs.

The December 1955 Trains article on the Burlington states the Burlington had no assigned power to commuter service. All E-units are rotated off mainline trains into commuter service for no more than 24 hours. It says that 18 E units laid over at Aurora each night so the Aurora roundhouse handled any servicing needs so the units would be ready for mainline service the following day after running into Chicago in commuter service. There is a great picture on page 46 of that issue of all the E units at 14th Street in Chicago after the morning commuter rush.

Bill Hirt