Re: [CBQ] Helper ops

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Helper ops
From: "Ted Schnepf railsunl@sbcglobal.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 20:06:54 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1503706230; bh=9dS9P51/yqiMSyewvl8tqW/FeZ9GgiRv5CiXX2o8VE0=; h=To:In-Reply-To:References:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=LpL26HhqmofCVpa4y0uYiGxliRCcFdwiiB1JDq4Vg0SOUBSa7ozhLgm6Y+aa8ZWLhsrBKnu7VdKlhEjDkANTnLyGFfnBRWMiIllSJbdlsVZtSoEGPsCAEkO6yHjjT6KVOETHQmt+yRSd4bCm8ZpNxietrAJhIfWRUKMSa5bbjXQ=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Hi Louis,

I would think in STEAM days there were many helper grades on the Q.  The helpers may have been used only occasionally for extra heavy trains.  I would think a eastbound heavy train out of Savanna would have been helped to Burke.  Same would hold for both directions out of Ottumwa.  These probably were not daily occurrences, but as needed.

I know on the Milwaukee Road grades as flat as 0.6% in certain cases, required helpers for heavy trains to keep a line fluid and not have trains reducing tonnage, or doubling hills.

People with more Q knowledge please add to the list.

ted