[CBQ] Re: Telegraphic Office Calls

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Telegraphic Office Calls
From: "t.m.j@comcast.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 28 May 2017 03:32:11 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1495942332; bh=sqo60URMa7TY0FBf5Fd7T4ZKWl51jxqWrl+w2xVJ+Os=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=SIAk6DYjYut6Rm0IHwOZPxAwgFgQukBKn7zu5fZD3bPjzSm5uUwHlg7/wCOu34Y/Qnh3EUCwI+cjjfbuM09D2BDeawkPGhjeA0u/jKj0w2W8vk277Em9pSirw1k4BByu/L3kpO+xX7vvv3pUk/Pst28tuT3BxhOmbNUg0v9YDEU=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Hi group,

     This is an awesome topic and also hope to see that list. But my main reason for posting was a great find a decade ago that I made while working with a club that I use to belong to. They are responsible for maintaining the old Milwaukee Road/CB&Q tower that was in Newport Minnesota. While going through one of the cabinets, I found a very intriguing electronic box. After inspecting it, I figured out that it was an old Telegraphers training device. It had several paper-tape rolls that could be run through the device and it would output the dots/dashes on the tape for the Telegraph Operator to decipher. One member was going to throw the device away thinking it was useless, but fortunately I intercepted the toss and saved the device. I handed it to the club president (at the time) and told him to save it at all cost and relayed exactly what it was. I intend to talk to him again soon to see where the device ended up and if at all possible, gain custody of it. If I do get my hands on it, I hope to find an old teletype machine that has a paper-tape reader/puncher and make copies of all the tapes (they were getting old and I am sure fragile). If successful, I will make a couple of recordings that I can post to the group.

Tom Johnson

Posted by: t.m.j@comcast.net