RE: [CBQ] Weed Sprayer

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Weed Sprayer
From: "'Tom Kline' TKline@airmail.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 19:55:44 -0600
Cc: <qutlx1@aol.com>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1485395752; bh=HwjXKSGb/LN+7SeZfOGpgqs1q/lBtkZ7jtgP1Eh71h0=; h=To:Cc:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=jfpJnc/+rFUxWNENMesH90k3AaaV2U6shFxM2B4qrcrGoJN4EkiLyvFiamli34FrA4OfXW4jcFtMonLHpnHgVBycJg90t3A0LpwI/CBfQhq8s8176JubdkipdJAyhXM66lj4FppPPe+cV5dfAtqGbSUi8tqZcD5nO0rvcF/fUbs=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

I’d have to concur with Leo about these photos, also every weed sprayer that I’ve seen or been around always had a white or yellow-ish staining on the lower carbody from the bleaching action of the chemicals to any painted surface.

I seem to recall Fairmont or another railroad equipment manufacturer offered a weed burner as a self-propelled vehicle.  We had one on the Burlington-Rock Island joint line and it was an interesting looking machine with two long kerosene drums mounted parallel to the rails on the units frame with a platform deck and roof on top for the crew to ride upon.  Two moveable booms with flared ends stuck out over each rail to work each side of the roadway.  They basically operated like a blowtorch with the flame being largely shrouded by the flared end and the operators swinging them side to side as needed.  The crew sitting atop the big tanks under the large full-length awning always reminded me of the big aluminum pontoon boats fishermen used on the lakes which were very popular at the time.  I haven’t thought about these things in decades and may be a little fuzzy on the exact details but they sure looked like something out of the Flintstones.

Tom Kline

Houston