[CBQ] Re: Weed Sprayer

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Weed Sprayer
From: "mailboat4@gmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 25 Jan 2017 16:04:51 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1485389098; bh=L0tCx1Jf9nFgRLdlQNpRDF/igP+iukp/yuu6iMhzaYM=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=MJhsTazQhC1LmIZgoZcn5CMypWyZE8J5L0KjKAo9N69gM0TkOd47BD9m/k9+d1l6NpZvJ+DYzroN+ARHRIBs9j8MVm/vz3kxXlWyumxi9v6TwCN4TrE5OrB2QPLFYrnmfajzKs0a7imvdyUPg6Z/609s03qL0UiElAyyxkIXmgM=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Nice shots of the track oiler.  I did see a weed sprayer outfit that looked a lot like that in the early 70's on the C&NW.  When I worked on the UP we were using high rail trucks with a plastic tank on board to hold the poison.  Working a weed sprayer job in the yard just meant pulling all the cars off a track so the truck could go down each track and do it's business.

I've uploaded two shots of CB&Q 208831 which I thought was a weed sprayer, but turns out to be a weed burner. It's sort of a flame thrower mounted on a flat car with an old cut down tank car for the fuel.  The sign in the rectangle painted on the side of the control house says "Safety First - Think".  I guess you wouldn't want to get too near the business end of the thing when it's in flamethrower mode.  I don't know if this was only used around the yard or yards, or out along sidings and industrial spurs.

You can find the photos under bn3022 in the files section of my yahoo groups as I wasn't sure if I could attach it to my email message.

Ken Thompson

Posted by: mailboat4@gmail.com