[CBQ] Rochelle - Iron Sponge Foundry And Track [1 Attachment]

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Rochelle - Iron Sponge Foundry And Track [1 Attachment]
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 15:19:52 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
[Attachment(s) from LZadnichek@aol.com included below]

September 15, 2016

Leo - I recently  came across this inserted/attached image of an unidentified Zephyr. Group member Bob Campbell has ID'd the image location as Rochelle, IL. It is undated. The structure with the large and small smoke stacks at center left, could this be the "iron sponge" foundry and track serving it?

In the attached image, when enlarged, you can see a bucket conveyor for unloading hopper cars. The MOW roll back tender might've been bad ordered and is sitting on the foundry track awaiting repair. If indeed Rochelle, then the image would probably date to the mid-to-late 1940s and the E-5 is powering one of the Twin Cities Zephyrs. What's stored in the masonry bins at bottom right? Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL

- - - -

Yup, even today we are occasionally offered sponge iron in large chunks to be broken down for remelting.

Leo