[CBQ] was NW1/NW2 question,now condensation,winter freeze ups

To: "<CBQ@yahoogroups.com>" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] was NW1/NW2 question,now condensation,winter freeze ups
From: "qutlx1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 08:01:44 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I'd like to expand on Petes comments in the NW1/2 discussion about condensation
and winter
Freeze ups.

On the operations side these were real concerns. Back in the late 60s when I
spent Sunday's at Eola roundhouse (see Zephyr 65), one step in the refueling
process was to open the valve on the air reservoir tank to drain off any
accumulated condensation. There was usually some in every tank.

In winter one could actually feel and see the moisture in the air when train
lines were parted. It was somewhat routine for mechanical forces to add
chemicals to train lines in deep bitter winter weather to decrease
condensation. A "good" trainman,switchman or carman would tap the glad hands of
snow covered air hose glad hands together before coupling the air in winter to
avoid adding more moisture to the air system.

While at the moment I can't recall a particular incident; I have read of cases
where trains lost their air brakes while in route due to an ice blockage in the
air lines. At the last Mendota BRHS meet Bill Greenwood gave a very nice
presentation about working at Mendota in the 50s.
One story was about the eastbound California Zephyr engineer who realized he
had no air when trying to slow for the big curve in town. At least one of the
domes actually scrapped the tower as the train passed. Yes it was tilted to
that degree. The engineer finally got the train stopped out near the
"electrics" at the east end of town. He and the fireman got down and sat on the
rail in front of the loco. While regaining their composure.

Leo Phillipp

Posted by: qutlx1@aol.com

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com