Re: [CBQ] was NW1/NW2 question,now condensation,winter freeze ups

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] was NW1/NW2 question,now condensation,winter freeze ups
From: "Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 11:43:39 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1455295422; bh=n1y8QCdfk9TK4RAiECvBAR3KPlLocArZgrMSGJOA1v0=; h=To:In-Reply-To:References:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=ilZMKAGfM6JwDs589aVEwxIeGaDW3H+7yFiryc9bq3Xl5PuEU/Jowa1v0xldKyVxAvOXQ9plDGdWq+NjHZwB2K0JlXTjX9Feig0XE8ab3v8cDZGWBF/kCoYpF5Tr83E0fRP7vG17vKssUOrxX7gFSoB2MkCyGXOqlR2pKM7RTnA=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

As you might expect....Leo's comments invoked a story of an actual event in which I was a vital participant.

It was a bitterly cold night at Blue Island in the wanning days of Rock Island passenger service...Either 1963 or 64.  No. 9..the Corn Belt Rocket was due out of LaSalle St. at 10:00pm..That night on the rear end was business car No.98 occupied by VPO O.W. Limestall.

I was in the plush Trainmaster's office at Blue Island listening to the railroad radio and listening on the Tower line intercom.  I heard 16th St. Tower report 9 by about on time.

A few minutes later over the radio came this call:  "Rock Island No. 9 calling the Blue Island Trainmaster...it was Road Foreman Louie Lonegran who was riding the head end of No. 9 as was always the practice when a business car was on the move.  I answered the radio.  Louis ID' himself and said..Would you go over to the roundhouse and get a can of alcohol and meet No. 9 at the depot. We've got a "froze up" trainline.

I immediately sprung into action...Ran downstairs...jumped into the company  "jeep" and raced over to the roundhouse..The RH foreman had heard the call and had one of those cans with a spout like you used to see at old time filling stations used to put water in car radiators filled with alcohol.

I grabbed the can...set it on the floor and raced down to the Blue Island depot just as 9 was stopping arrayed in a great cloud of steam and brake shoe smoke.  I grabbed the can and ran over to the rear end of the third unit just as the fireman and Louie ran back.  Somebody climbed in between the nose of the rear facing A unit and uncoupled the airbrake line.  Somebody else grabbed the can and started pouring the alcohol into the brake pipe on the head end of the first car.  I think at least part of the stuff got into the trainline, but a good portion went on the ground.

There I was...me with a college education...standing on the ground in my suit, fedora hat and overcoat  (standard railroad official's uniform in those days)  freezing to death watching the utter chaos taking place at my feet.

After emptying the can...it was handed back to me...The air coupled up...brakes tested and away went No. 9 with...hopefully  working airbrakes.

I took the can back to the roundhouse and repaired back to the TM's office thinking...Did I really sign up for this much fun????  when I hired out.

Well, as one old time railroader once said and which I often not only retell...but endorse..."What we endure with hardship, we remember with delight"...If that little incident hadn't happened on "my watch" I would not have had the pleasure of regaling you guys with it here and being able to provide a practical illustration of the reason for an "after cooler" which removed moisture from compressed air and thus minimized occurrences such as described here.

Pete.