Re: [CBQ] Proposed but never built CB&Q steam?

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Proposed but never built CB&Q steam?
From: "atsf3460@frontier.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 26 Oct 2015 08:39:21 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1445873963; bh=6lm/r6ABT5WyZqzG4eKsmh+COqN/3dZ1rzUc/CRSDbA=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=TxYjbBPEsKnn1pV8bxZlm42w6Yh3QjiHNESdZySXlb8IJUeFZS2bTvfCIJ8kBkI49nUBO4Rjm6kiidi+sizOoMT9z2R9Vr2eViJ3hVmWqSGnw4jtC2j38rKVC79INPWLxpeSBlGDNaAvVEUqTEjgGEr7+gSxTCyn/FUTIzHpKHA=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Responding to an older post when we were talking about hypothetical Q steam Louis wrote,

October 5, 2015

Mike and Rupert - I believe that Charlie Vlk might be able to tell us more, but it's my understanding that a NYC 4-6-4 demonstrated on the Q during the time period the Super Hudson S-4-A's were being designed. However, I've never seen any photos of a NYC 4-6-4 powering Q passenger trains of the era. Has anyone else? If this actually happened, then imagine how an ALCO NYC Hudson would've appeared as a Q passenger locomotive..... Mike, you have a vivid imagination. I like that! Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II

And now I write... this is quite interesting that the Q may have been interested in a Super Hudson of some sort.  Around 1937 or so ALCO built the C&NW E4s and Milwaukee Road F7s both with 84" drivers while Baldwin built the #3460 class Hudsons for the Santa Fe with the same size drivers.  One might think that the Q would have been a candidate for the 84" driver club Hudsons but they had already gone whole hog for diesels.  The C&NW Hudsons weren't used on the 400s though.  They were for the mainline UP / CNW trains to Omaha and I don't think they were used on the 400s.

If the Burlington would have had Baldwin construct a Super Hudson what would it have looked like.  Utilitarian like a Santa Fe Hudson or streamlined or ?  I think a plausible and cheap model could be made using an old PFM Tenshodo Santa Fe Hudson and then put some sort of coal tender behind it.  I kind of think the box styling Santa Fe used might have been too extreme for the Burlington so they would have done something different.  If it was streamlined would the Q have tried to have gotten a Dreyfuss or Kuhler to style like NYC and Milwaukee or just stuck with stainless steel and designed it along the lines of the Aeoli (my plural for the Alice twins).  I could see the Q maybe buying a class of six Super Hudsons from Baldwin.  You have to kind of figure that the thing would be stainless... unless the Q went bonkers like the Santa Fe and painted it blue.  And I've not ever seen any explanation for why the #3460 was blue.

In this thread the USRA heavy pacific was mentioned as a forerunner of the #3000s as well as the Southern Railway Ps-4 Pacifics like #1401 in the Smithsonian.  I've thought for a very long time that a really cool hypothetical engine for the Q would be a PFM Ps-4.  Take the walkway off of the tender, replace the trailing truck with a Delta, get rid of the flutes on the stack and BANGO you've got a Q heavy Pacific.  It even has an Elesco on the smokebox.  The only thing not plausible is the Southern 4-6-2s drivers are only like 73" or so.  Q would have had 78s at least but if you use it for a dual use engine 73" would work.

More nutball thoughts,

Mike Martin

Posted by: atsf3460@frontier.com