Re: [CBQ] Proposed but never built CB&Q steam?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Proposed but never built CB&Q steam?
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 14:55:20 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

October 5, 2015

Charlie - As you mention, the S-4 and improved S-4-A classes were not constricted by tight clearances as found on the NYC and other Eastern roads, thus the Q designers could create a much more robust 4-6-4 and, for that much, 4-8-4. I've never thought about it, but you're right in that there appears to be, other than the outside bearing lead truck on the Milwaukee 4-6-4's, some resemblance between the S-4's and the Baltics. Another reason "why" the Q may've shied away from Berkshires was a prejudice against two wheel leading trucks on passenger locomotives, although the NKP 2-8-4's certainly were operated at what was then considered passenger train speeds on fast freight trains. A very interesting Email thread, indeed - Louis