[CBQ] Re: Videos

To: CB&Q Group <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Videos
From: "William Barber clipperw@gmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 09:40:07 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1443105624; bh=HBLcXtuosjZcLuKRYxYO9f4UAKyWzbWXTLSvHYucqnc=; h=References:To:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=4cNwAKAir72bb/c8s+pnNzCINpKsEyAOO2dXHUKiaAf1vCgOewQUPpXjQeGVxlcxI96yrV/WTC9tTUlRfaIaR1hCI++sUuuzIGQW3NDa954ACkzn3WYHuXRw5feVaHZ5c+a80U+dmL5N1GRXHNy+p8zB/DvUFIhWwZrqY/Oa4CM=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Charlie,

I am sure that you are correct and the discussion in the RR offices, probably followed a similar line of thought. Since they only ordered 3 B units the Q's E5s, it would seem that they weren't too enamored with passenger B units even in the very early 1940s. The Denver Zephyr train was significantly lighter than the CZ consist and the DZ required 3000 hp. They probably thought that a 4000 hp consist wasn't sufficient. Later, when E8s and E9s became available, the two unit hp increased to 4500 for the E8s and 4800 for the E9s, thus matching or exceeding the hp of the three F3s. The Q received their E8s between 1950 and 1953, so from a hp standpoint, they had an alternative to the F3 consists a year after the CZ was introduced. It would be interesting to see Q paper work that was associated with decisions about powering the train, both initially and later as the F3s were replaced. For instance, did they make test runs to see if the Es could manage the train and the schedule?

Bill