RE: [CBQ] Re: Videos

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Re: Videos
From: "'Charlie Vlk' cvlk@comcast.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 11:35:56 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1443026188; bh=tZ2eTfyYs/DrOiWg/cSUTTz+DIeCyshU9cEpyTZLwOs=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=EkiIyD3LPV/skMrQR3QXn5ebJ8Ib+grMpBXDPEI16QLM7rBwehRtqiCtGpY71t6Zg1WLDYOwK3pFptFjjAeS0x71YrsKbUmEqaSlAhvc8CG9V7zuaclZ4YsGRQVDIg38vepOuwZCDgw1GE5flByCLZaHLNcoxoeewQ1CZJnoakM=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Bill-

I am sure that may have been a consideration, but they could have easily ordered E7B units as I don’t think at that stage they had the pooling and flexibility of using only A units in mind, at least to the degree they had after 1950.  The esthetics of elephant E’s would probably have overruled it on the new train even if nose MU was installed.

I think the initial calculations indicated that two Es would be a strain.  HP balancing was a consideration as they seemed to try to match what was needed closely.   Once they had E8s and E9s available in numbers they were not as frugal with the power.

Charlie

Charlie,

I am not sure when EMD made nose MU receptacles available, but the Q didn't add nose MU receptacles on their E units until the mid 1950's and later according to the BRHS E Bulletin. So, the Q couldn't operate 3 E units together until after that modification was made. A three unit F3 consist was the only way they could assemble a locomotive consist with more than 4000 hp. However, I believe there is information available that indicates that the CZ was operated with  two E units before the mid 1950s.

Bill Barber

Gravois Mills, MO