RE: [CBQ] CB&Q Waycar Questions

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] CB&Q Waycar Questions
From: "'Charlie Vlk' cvlk@comcast.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 18:09:51 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1426633796; bh=W7YPuz3bHtiUV6+Q7P+hDbZ6H8r0RR0/GTiU6hg9+tI=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=usBybZGJxNwXqpJ06/9l+umkg3GSA3rqicUGEiDJxms0q0y9uJ/Wnx2U5WaCciiKI7pKsHZm318W4U+7n3LLcYIx6qWU2pmkm3j/qc5MHjvOyqxUI1p4dQvq+7MYvGLZe7t3z30X0r/5jBGcMSHMhqw8YZvj3nrZ2oY//a3P5wY=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

I can at least answer one of your questions definitively.

I have a drawing for Steel underframes for the CW branchline combines.  Such cars existed before steel underframes but after 1900 they would have had them.  (I wouldn’t call them drovers cars as Model Railroaders tend to call anything with a sliding side door and a cupola a “drovers car”).

The only “official” designation I’ve seen for drovers cars were more-or-less standard waycars that had no conductors provisions and more bunks.  They were converted to standard waycars pretty early as far as I can see.

The CWs were primarily used on mixed trains.  Some coaches were used for that service….the only requirement was independent heating as stock trains did not have steam lines.  Horses  did not travel in the same car as the cowboys unless somebody wanted to stay with their horse in the stock car.

Don’t know the dates of conversion from K to AB; a photo study might turn up some date ranges.

The truss rods on waycars were hard to see as they were fairly shallow.   Steel sills started to be applied around 1900 but I haven’t seen any definitive evidence of the earliest / latest application.   A number of 28’ cars got stretched at this time probably because they had 30’ steel underframe parts on hand.   Some cars got stretched between the cupola and windows; others at the far end before the windows.   A few got odd window spacing and some even got 4 windows using 3 window car smaller windows.   I think the possum belly “cellars” were removed as part of adding the steel underframes.  Photos are your friend.

The photos are the only sure guide to herald and lettering style.

Charlie Vlk