Re: [CBQ] CB&Q engines leased to SP

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q engines leased to SP
From: "qutlx1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 08:47:45 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1424184467; bh=1k2FWWrOyXilOwPK6P8xaLmZZEKEHrXv+usnJ9PLkPM=; h=References:In-Reply-To:To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=Uc8xOCCx8cy4DXhvHXajityFsQfRdukY4wcuKNANLfaJJhynCNu100h2MSKmEjQ61MlR+7ZIuLdFNcpr8cF3bW5krW0JNltoZMTh/n1RiWuLodts4IvkLWKOTnQOMBqCaEvv+pkaD0UYQK9eShLdoMHMs3i5nhmGX0L2yEkPbSE=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Tim,

I would like to address your comment that " thanks to union rules based on mileage there was no incentive to run trains any faster".  Based on my 42 years in the industry as both a union T&E employee,union steward and a manager tasked with improving operations and reducing costs; then with suppliers and contractor to the carriers.

There is no one more frustrated with a slow moving train than the crew; which is paid in miles to get from A to B . The crew makes the same amount of money to get from A to B whether it takes 4 or 8 hours,and depending on miles for the run they may not make a dime more in 12 hours.
When I was on the extra board the faster I got done the quicker I got posted back on the board for another run to make more money. Sitting on a parked through train waiting to get into a yard cost me money. When I was on a regular job or pool turn the sooner I got over the road,the sooner I got home.

Management powers trains based on the cost to run the train,revenue derived and demands of the customer. That's why there are high speed container trains and low speed unit trains.
One of my first learning incidents in mgmt occurred when my boss told me " we are running rolling warehouses". It's not a matter of speed but rather just getting the goods where they're needed in a scheduled manner.

The industry tried going to an hourly basis during the promulgated rules (in the 60s) during a lengthy contract renewal. from what I was told that didn't go well for either side.

Leo Phillipp