[CBQ] Housekeeping [2 Attachments]

To: CB&Q Group <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Housekeeping [2 Attachments]
From: "Hol Wagner holpennywagner@msn.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 07:59:09 -0700
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
[Attachment(s) from Hol Wagner included below]

A couple of housekeeping measures.  In going through file cabinet drawers full of prints from the Corbin collection I came across the original prints from which Bernard made copy negatives and images of which I recently posted here.  I'm attaching reduced size scans of both for reference.

First, Q R-4 Prairie 2092 with air pump on the pilot deck:  This photo was taken by Arthur E. "Art" Stensvad, a UP engineer and railfan from North Platte, Neb.  His typewritten description on the back of the print reads:  "Q 2092 2-6-2  Ashland, Nebr., Aug. 1942.  Notice extra air compressor on front end of smokebox.  Two tenders, and two air compressors on this engine.  Was used in construction of large ordinance [sic] depot at Mead, Nebr."  Mead is some 20 miles north of Ashland on the line from Ashland up to Fremont and Sioux City.

Second, C&S 522 on the Q:  When I posted this photo I had no information as to where or when it was taken, but I then found a print -- not an original but made from Corbin's copy neg -- that said "St. Joe" on the back, though not in Corbin's handwriting.  Now I have turned up the original print that Corbin copied, and while it does not identify the photographer or the date of the photo, it does clearly say "Keokuk, Iowa."  Most of the time it was leased to the Q the 522 was assigned to either the St. Joseph Division or the Lincoln Division.  But, from the assignment sheets I have access to, between February and May or June 1938 it was assigned to the Ottumwa Division and thus could have found its way to Keokuk.  There being a number of group members with an interest in Keokuk, I though this revelation might be of some interest.

Hol

Attachment(s) from Hol Wagner | View attachments on the web

2 of 2 Photo(s)