[CBQ] Freebees

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Freebees
From: "'Nelson Moyer' ku0a@mchsi.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 08:49:57 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1402667394; bh=f02dK30kzYJglVl72k92ttrQ/hZgI6svWC7O3DgmkyU=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Authority-Analysis:To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:Thread-Index:Content-Language:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Original-From:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=12STONusIOOSKENfkGLOZxtE3RrXDMitD11iQPwOIDtR9RlhN7om8bCa2P9xabZjQUWDRYvm/Ky382aBZGRg8apeAMslGKx0lO1q6D7rxXVa3N/POnnmqi39J2T8gNAIPUbH0clpZuiPRmdtDXtRDvpko554wi/2vUE6dwXd8MM=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I take exception to the philosophy that something of value assumes more
value if it is purchased, rather than given away. The corporate world
understands that free samples up front hook consumers for the long term.
Costco has made a new art form out of giving away free samples, and nobody
will argue their success. Excluding the Sign data sheets as Gene suggests,
there are 12 data sheets for a total of 56 pages remaining. That's hardly
giving away the store, and it's probably not enough material to warrant
producing a CD. Post those data sheets on the web page for free download in
high resolution, and you just may attract some new members, which is
guaranteed to enhance BRHS revenue far more that any modest sale of data
sheet CDs.

The BRHS archives are for historians, not modelers. Most modelers aren't
strict prototype modelers, and few modelers scratchbuild structures, much
less freight cars. Fewer modelers are choosing to model the CB&Q as
evidenced by the paucity of models offered in pre-1959 paint schemes; the
marketplace follows the demand. The future of BRHS depends upon attracting
new members, so what's wrong with providing some value up front via the web
site? I recently joined the La Masa Model Railroad Club in San Diego, since
I spend substantial time out there visiting my grandchildren. They model the
Southern Pacific, Union Pacific, and Santa Fe from Bakersfield to Mohave
including Tehachapi Loop. I've used the ATSF Historical Society web site as
a source of information for deciding on motive power purchases to run on the
club layout in the San Diego Model Railroad Museum. The web site provides a
lot of free information, but it also steers users to society publications
and society membership. Some material is available to members only, but it's
free to members. Unless BRHS joins the 21st century, I just may have to 'Go
Santa Fe All the Way".

Nelson Moyer