RE: [CBQ] Freebees

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Freebees
From: "'Nelson Moyer' ku0a@mchsi.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 13:05:56 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1402682755; bh=bednCofTLC920hWeXOMYD1k9ncOr/g7zGOew5gBO9ho=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Authority-Analysis:To:References:In-Reply-To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:Thread-Index:Content-Language:X-Original-From:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Reply-To:Content-Type; b=vfCUzioqiRcfk+rqZrETbGd/CR/yQwMYd1/E3RgnNyFb5GE0PExciXiXM+89D4HJoHMZh/41kHZynyXlFxIzsAm0UjvMSAISX0fh2U4Imtw89eFzDgGoqQEB1Mu+ucnmrnQwqDKy8KIKJG3SzWrYhucWYdBUmC8EOM7uFClzvSY=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Charlie,

Thanks for your thoughtful commentary. I've used the PRR online newsletter
to access a good multi-part article on FGE/WFE/BRE reefers, so there is some
Burlington related material in other societies  online newsletters, and it's
free.

Since I'm a prototype modeler, I expect the manufacturers to be
prototypically correct with their releases. Because I have a narrow period
on interest (September 1953), I want the freight car classes and paint
schemes that were running then. The Kato Phase 1 NW-2 is the only one
available in HO, and factory paint had the modern BURLINGTON script on the
hood instead of Way of the Zephyrs and Everywhere West. That disqualified
the model for me unless I wanted to take the time to strip the paint,
repaint, and decal. At seventy-one, I'd rather spend my remaining time
building the layout. There is no SW that I'm aware of, no SW-1 in the
blackbird paint scheme except the old Walthers Mainline issue, no F-2,  and
the GP-7s and SD-7s being issued are generic models for several roads
without road specific details, which means they lack the distinctive
Burlington headlights, Mars lights and other Q-specific details. These can
be retrofitted, but it's not easy to do, and it takes a lot of time and
additional expense (been there, done that). Most E unit releases have been
with red nose stripes (post-1959), since only a few of us old guys are
interested in steam and first generation diesel. I acquired some early
releases of E units with black nose strips from 2006 at shows or estate
sales, and I ordered two of the BLI E-8s to finally get a passenger power
pool. There is no P-6 or anything close. There is no K-4, though NKP issued
a K-2 in brass many years ago. There is no prototypical Q steam in plastic,
unless you count the USRA designs that the Q purchased. If your want single
sheathed boxcars (XM17/18/19/21/23/30/31) or auto boxcars (XA7/8/9/11/14),
GS1/2/7/8 gondolas, or the BREX refers without cast on safety appliances,
you have to build resin kits (been there, done that). Yes, there is a lot of
rolling stock loosely based upon the Q and similar prototypes, but very
little of it is accurate for the Q. The blackbird is becoming extinct, with
the red bird continues to survive, and the green pumpkin is thriving. I'll
stand my assertion that there is very little prototypically accurate Q
equipment in RTR format that predates 1959.

Younger modelers are modeling the present because that's what they see and
can identify with. Where does that leave us in ten years? Aren't we doing
the same thing, modeling what we were familiar with back in the day. There
is no CB&Q in the present. The BN has nothing of the nostalgic value of the
CB&Q, and the BNSF is strictly in the present. Unless we can present
ourselves in a way that attracts young members, the BRHS will die with us,
and then the archives will be strictly for historians.

Nelson Moyer