RE: [CBQ] What could these crates be?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [CBQ] What could these crates be?
From: <rquisenb@comcast.net>
Date: 20 Mar 2014 13:48:32 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1395350422; bh=PdP9tTW3J7AlG41optcrJzcj2nfqS+Gscg8HcoCbjiY=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Date:X-Received:Message-ID:X-Mailer:MIME-Version:References:In-Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:Subject:X-Yahoo-Group-Post:X-Yahoo-Profile:X-YGroups-SubInfo:To:Sender:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-eGroups-Approved-By:X-eGroups-Auth; b=IMEInvphIR/jv8iRN5pZvQKIRcwr2fhnfd57YbMwk60ffSZtE2uHGsDi7Ox0MIohmzJeMlfjvl9LTZvWACTeOSWHcPJgQ5gYUhAgwNq+mfrjHDCkRkVzwNEmHaDYbKflB38PLBgij5pE78ukXkupl+1aMADlONz2QQrV/0/Wfm8=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
What were the responsibilities of banana messengers?
 I think I understand what a Drover is, a person responsible for the care and
watering of the cattle being shipped.
 Ray Quisenberry

---In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, <cvlk@...> wrote :

 West Madison Street in Chicago was “skid row”……where bums and derelicts
(“homeless persons” in todays PC terminology) congregated ...
 It was not far from the Fulton Street Market which was the wholesale
distribution center for (primarily) fruits and vegetables.   Pete mentioned
that the Banana Messengers were recruited from West Madison Street so we a
likely talking about contract employees hired by the banana distributors on a
per trip basis, not regular employees of the railroad.
 Seems to me there was an article on the banana traffic in RMC not too long ago
that probably covered this.
 IC had some extra long cabooses set up with accommodations for banana
messengers (plans were in MR and identified as “Banana Caboose”) so the concept
is not unlike that for livestock drovers that accompanied and cared for the
shipment of animals.
 Charlie Vlk