RE: [CBQ] Re: Is this a Burlington locomotive

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Re: Is this a Burlington locomotive
From: "Kenneth Middleton" <krmiddle@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 12:04:33 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1394125477; bh=6kM4rw6oiAuZ117Pd6XRKV6k9GTfNwmnmd+KNG/zqNI=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Authority-Analysis:Message-ID:To:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=NqHZ/T0SoX0XPjQr7TWrYGTqzb/xNnbYx8ymfEMLO7U/vXDrhgSd6ok7I/7byUuwVvQKKmVmwvQk6kl2Yz0A89SyBY+dgXhwSzPf4KwBdwHpU8/nR8rcSTg5AqmvN9vNSg4RMS+kmiqOvMlExXhhrbgFJT+zChJi7AHi/M5Uk5o=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hi Rupert,

The December 1, 1908, deed that deeded the Sioux City & Western to the CB&Q
specified that all "locomotives, cars, and other rolling stock and equipment"
be transferred to the CB&Q. These six locomotives had originally been acquired
by the Pacific Short Line (Nebraska & Western), which built the line from South
Sioux City to O'Neill in 1890, and then went into receivership in 1891. The
property was purchased by the Sioux City, O'Neill & Western in 1891. Then in
1893 the SCO&W went into receivership, and the road was operated by the
receiver until 1899. In 1899 the property was conveyed to the Sioux City &
Western. All of the capital stock of the SC&W was acquired by the Willmar &
Sioux Falls, a Great Northern subsidiary, who began operating the road in 1900.
In 1899 all of the locomotives of the various GN subsidiaries were incorporated
into one numbering system, and the former Pacific Short Line locomotives were
incorporated into this system in 1900. On July 1, 1907, most of the various
subsidiaries of the Great Northern were incorporated into the parent road. The
July 1, 1907, deed by which the Willmar & Sioux Falls transferred the Sioux
City and Western to the GN specified that the CB&Q would begin operating the
road after midnight, October 1, 1907.

It's interesting that apparently at least one GN executive (J. M. Gruber,
General Manager) had some regrets about letting these locomotives go to the
CB&Q, as I found some correspondence in the GN Comptroller files at the
Minnesota Historical Society between Mr. Gruber and Mr. R. I. Farrington, a
Second Vice-President, about keeping the locomotives on the GN, but I think
they had already been transferred.

I also found at the Minnesota Historical Society a volume entitled "Historical
Records of SC and N and Sioux City and Western, January 1, 1900." This lists
all the equipment owned by those roads as of that date. I believe this has
since been assigned as Historic Car Records Volume 94 by the Minnesota
Historical Society. When I found this book it had not yet been catalogued by
MHS, but was only listed as "Accession #3405." I believe this is in Box 19 of
the HIstorc Car Recors -- Locator 136I.10.1B.

Best regards,

Ken Middleton
Portage, MI
krmiddle@charter.net