Re: [CBQ] Re: Oil on the Q in World War Two

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Oil on the Q in World War Two
From: Leo <qutlx1@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 08:09:45 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1383311381; bh=+tCeOXiIg7jaOdlv+Ld+Nd3EZSNZVCJNFeI8c9O78R4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:X-Mailer:In-Reply-To:Message-Id:To:x-aol-global-disposition:x-aol-sid:X-AOL-IP:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=kBkHBeOlERWwjBksyiKP5xqgPp7/igtj0IG6Jg/JETsxll8r3NDosWuZIvMu/Jqrp8rqs724jkKEGnn2k3BxnZoVtBGyAoSCl4fhsw8HhuDWr1qn5kVlNL7d69CjnxSTE/dc+I7lEPa+THLOR2AUimFnROczYRWXgoTdjeQtX6I=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

As to the UTLX fleet review I don't recall the exact year. However if my memory is correct those documents were deemed trash and ended up in my "take home" file.

Like so many other amateur historians my collection is not very well organized so if I find the documents I'll post the date.

On tank cars leaking,you are correct they sure did. Today a leak of any kind is cause for repair. Back in the day things were different. I would imagine especially during the war.
On the riveted tanks of old the rivets were a frequent cause of leaks,I,ve been told caulking was a quick,down and dirty fix. The outlet valves,especially the old style controlled from the man way nozzle with a long rod were troublesome.

Don't recall any stories about oil leaks causing operating problems.

Leo Phillipp

Sent from my iPad