Re: [CBQ] Re: Suburban service west

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Suburban service west
From: Kenneth Fleming <kf5632@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 19:30:28 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1379547029; bh=mGpfGlHdldBbd8CehyLKYbJDLl+F2l1jVHX+mB44nuM=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-ID:To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=JlMk7wHkvrqcLAUGOF14eUIfD6c2AI/Z1tVlTHnWbDtkqC4yJtI7z8QNiXIbSo6gw8MiLBcD5WOKhJGAQTguQGO/VWIDJM4RBVKCzxTE8KF+oGYx5O6IRTUZHaLjll7D2iclYi/efqfEKnAoc8RMcvqQ95VlgPzQPiWzSpTeZd4=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

As an aside, in the Fall of 1956 some of us would be waiting for a bus to high school, by the North side of the Aurora National Bank.  An SW/NW would come racing up the West Main headed for the incline and the coach yard.  At the signal for that switch there would be a West Bound freight headed by either an O5/O5a or M4a. As soon as they got the board, they would start West.  The grade favored them, but still a great sight.  My afternoon job was at Sears, Roebuck & Co. store down the street a block.  There was a stair landing between the second and third floors that had had a window that opened to overlook the Mainlines.  I saw a number of freights pass with 05's on the headend.
That was the end of Mainline steam and I got to see it.  At 11PM, there would be a steam (O5/M4) freight headed East that would call in the flagman at Aurora and then start out on the the Aurora hill.  I used to go to sleep listening them leaving town.

They had suburban service West of Aurora, it was #33/34 to Mendota.  They had seven cars out of Chicago and cut off 5 cars at Aurora.  It didn't work out then and probably won't work down.