RE: [CBQ] 23 Car Denver Zephyr

To: CB&Q <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] 23 Car Denver Zephyr
From: Frederick Ripley <fjr68@live.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 20:09:02 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1377479343; bh=0PfIXg0IQ0RPtlTrfinSWxuV0b1mLZYIuCTlN3YSPfo=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-TMN:X-Originating-Email:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=GgHCWeRwcqYv6sm+WEJ3p2+gei8HLEuPTgxbWnyNe6UxJluPp4QE5abJ01YhDc/oya3pURq45vVA7uIfdfcFCPznWA4uTyGImk/vM6PcdGLKFzuk9cjPVL9y7pBBIuiTdBZwQok+VDRgGW3pRIBj7K8fD+5PAVTzq8qJOQP/gFc=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Glen, Steven, and List:

These would have been spectacular consists.  In August 1966, there was a national airline strike
that meant greatly expanded consists nationwide.  I imagine the CB&Q was using all the streamlined
equipment it could find to add to the "DZ" (and "CZ").

Fred R.

Steven:

Regarding the WESTBOUND 23 car Denver Zephyr, do you recall if this was a Saturday departure from Chicago and Sunday arrival at Denver?

I recall a lengthy EASTBOUND Denver Zephyr at Burlington, Iowa that I observed on a Monday morning (I think) in August 1966, which would have been a Sunday departure from Denver.  I thought I counted 5 motors, and 27 cars, but it may have been 23.  Could this have been the same set of equipment?

I remember 5 things about this train.  (1) There was no 2nd #10 (which there was occasionally that Summer).  (2) All of the equipment was stainless steel, no heavyweights and no SSS cars.  (3) Silver Leaf, a flat-top coach was tacked on at Burlington behind the Vista-dome Observation.  (4) The train was so long, it stretched the entire length of the Mississippi River Bridge at Burlington.  And (5) remarkably (I thought), it was virtually on time!  I remember the time because I was working on a B&B gang in Burlington in August 1966, and we went to work at 7AM daylight, which was 6AM railroad (standard) time.  We would walk to the bridge from the outfits, starting at 6 and getting to the bridge at about 6:10.  Number 10 departed about 6:05, and I think it's scheduled departure was 6:01.

I'm curious.

Glen Haug