Re: [CBQ] Re: Historic Aerial Photos

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Historic Aerial Photos
From: Bill Hirt <whirt@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 11:48:17 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1361728224; bh=x/ibXx3NqknChGfXsNlsnqp4zwBEZN5H8EC7d8HGCsU=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-Received:Message-ID:User-Agent:To:References:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=rke2pC/XBaVNNck6OEJPSaxGhGOvjmPr6We9aCu7Bv7Ef8zBKqa/uk0KGgmaJlVaTqLGT1T9axfiWSk30jHRmjULH+KatANyyyKZQWAPwTrNj/eYDelnSG9GKaPSzT/D74F0RJw9+DzbcgC3RU9iXsNeOnbXo9RZZSHOJe7vyxg=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Rich,

You may be surprised, but your local library may have a subscription or reciprocal borrowing rights so you can view them at home using their web site as a portal and your library card. The Mid-Continent Public Library System in the Kansas City area has a complete subscription to the Sanborn map files for the entire United States <http://www.mymcpl.org/online-resources/research-database/4470>. You just log in to their web site using your library card and you have complete access. You can download the map files as Adobe PDF files for printing and viewing. I have done so with many of the Q locations in my area of interest. I was just looking at the Omaha and Council Bluffs area in the past week.

For those outside the Kansas City area, you can pay a $20 card fee at the Midwest Genealogy Center. Unfortunately, you must do this in person. You then get 6 months of access. It can be renewed every six months (but has to be done in person). If you planned to do a lot of Sanborn work, that would probably be a pretty good deal as well as convenient.

Also for you Illinois residents (like Rich ;)), here is a site I found by Google that has Illinois Sanborn maps online:

<http://collections.carli.illinois.edu/cdm4/index_sanborn.php?CISOROOT=/sanborn>. You will need a library card from an Illinois college, community college or university to access.

Bill Hirt