Re: [CBQ] Re: Oregon Signals

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Oregon Signals
From: STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 19:33:52 -0800 (PST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1357097646; bh=/3/DcrbOnlMDF2MlOF4fT/D81daUl087dPQ0hCRepCg=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Rocket-MIMEInfo:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=DpPnj65YHZoHRfm2HfbEOleNrsiTnnoqBLWJMo0ztSJSD+K7MPUikub+A+wXrVJPojAB+7XdcH1oe5yto0gC94Dkf5zznj2s9maasBHerwIcz0/uhE5th69HKCP8QaV3ViCjxISxCPGLRovtvY67JjRinMgIcFEBbWHbdwaFkvA=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

The best explanation would be found in the Consolidated Code(the Rule Book) BUT you have to keep looking as that rule book covered a lot of roads and the Burlington Lines is what you are looking for on Page 100, 102, 104 and the signals that could be displayed is found on the Bulletin that is put out when the signals were put into service and in later years in the Special Instruction which covered those areas.  Also remember a signal with a number plate is an automatic signal and other rules may apply while with an A or lack of a plate is an absolute and is just that ABSOLUTE.
The most restrictive would be the lack of a signal or RED for STOP and that would apply to both heads on a two headed signal.
The next would be a yellow signal on the top of the two head or the dwarf means you are going down the main with the signal at the other end more then likely
     RED or better known as "Approach" Rule 501E prepared to stop before any part of train or engine passes the next signal.
IF the bottom signal was yellow on the two heads it meant "Diverging Approach" You are headed into the siding or thru a crossover "Proceed on diverging route     at prescribed speed prepared to stop before any part of train or engine passes the next signal"  The speeds were found in the Special Instructions for that
            subdivision.
And of course green was proceed.  Never able to get a green on the lower head of a two headed signal
The Dwarf could show all three colors.(the signal pages were the only pages of color in the rule book (Until Mine got underlined and drawn in))
Signal displays and rules changed over the years so you have to sometimes find the right rulebook or signal instruction booklet that was used in later years( with the BNSF  Rule Book and other material of more modern times needing two men and a little boy to carry(mine is all in storage while the Q material is all at hand)
I do have a signal Bulletin Diagram for the new install of CTC between Galesburg and Savanna(the Pea Vine) dated 9/24/74 and 12/5/74 I will take to Dave's if you would want it scanned and posted in the file section next week.
Steve in SC