[CBQ] Re: New Album Created.

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: New Album Created.
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 09:17:50 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echo; t=1353511113; bh=oTnu/JQixxPSn9Up0GYtorMxH29ObkXjKtU5Ef747vM=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:To:References:Message-Id:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=gndNPTg3UXRK8+ila/z85atrpMjuXF8+vjVbUJEwk4Sf+uGwcP9e3jXl4ik0hSn2j5GXKa31DRYArfcXYlDhPMI9enQ2pe9DeGaGAJZ10AqvXvFSwzmQnIdGAT9O93n1Eqa0knjN/jfKI1kHwOjZBI39Zo4xd4KLbFuEKmZp4cc=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Karl,

We have to keep in mind that that was fast track for the regular passenger trains, too, in those days. The morning Zephyr was scheduled to depart Aurora at 9:39 am and was due into Savanna depot at 10:18 am (89 minutes, 108 miles) and it had to make a scheduled stop at Oregon en route. Average speed was still 72 mph and, I am sure, faster when delays occurred. In that time period, the Q held the scheduled start to stop speed record of 86 mph, I believe , around Prairie du Chein. I remember reading those numbers in Don Steffee's annual speed survey in "Trains Magazine".

After WWII, the Q was a fast runner with either steam or diesel. I rode behind S-4A no. 3003 between Mendota and Aurora in Sept., 1957 at 96 mph for mile after mile. What a trip!

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO