[CBQ] Clairification re assigned and pooled W/C's

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Clairification re assigned and pooled W/C's
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 23:02:22 -0400 (EDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1345863751; bh=0WtKSND4iDFY/dhOkLcODq/+6bwvSiFMbtG5bdrGMH4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=WLRDchcvoT3Tg8P8uQcXKqe1tiG7Ha/+vZKdW4vyVbnEI1yWMAX5qBv7nVBxTFxhn9zgZMDh1LeIErReUSUQbAJyL7ut4Q5uDtjBRV2+JCROTZ2VmvM4FB4jlesSpNQo
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Leo....The most recent conversations re the C&I waycar pool and related subject cleared up a question that I was going to ask.  I always thought..(assumed) that the train and engine crews working out of the Chicago area to Savanna AND Galesburg were in the same seniority district, but apparently that is not correct.

My understanding is that the crews working Eola or whatever the terminal was to Savannah were separate from those working to Galesburg..Is this correct?....A detailed explanation regarding how the crews worked (including the passenger crews) out of Chicago to Galesburg and  Chicago to Savannah would be helpful to me if you are up to it.

Also, there must have been some kind of a "step on step off" agreement regarding passenger trains between GAlesburg, Burlington and Ottumwa (Creston)   since IIRC  passenger crews did change at Burlington while freight crew ran through from Galesburg to Ottumwa.

Speaking of the pooling of waycars vs assigned cars out here on the Lincoln Division crews working out of Lincoln on the old Lincoln Division ran  Lincoln-Hastings and Lincoln-Ravenna.  It was just one pool and one extra board and the same crews worked both lines and the attached branches.

When I hired out first time in1956 it seems that the pooling of waycars had just begun, but it seems like when you went to Hastings you had a pool waycar which went through with the train and you stayed at the company assigned hotel..The Carter Hotel in Hastings..When you went to Ravenna the waycars were changed..I worked the Ravenna switch engine and remember changing waycars on through trains...The switch engine worked 1:00am-9:00am...If the switcher was not on duty the crew had to change their own waycar.

My question is I don't see how that could have worked with some pooled waycars and some assigned on the same division at the same time.  Is that possible.. .As a young 20 year old brakeman I really wansn't paying attention to "details" like that..and never ever working the rear end how the waycars worked never entered my thooughts...I do know that there was an assigned local between Lincoln and Hastings and a like local between Lincoln and Ravenna and those W/C's were definitely assigned.

Enlighten me please

Pete