[CBQ] Re: Wheel

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Wheel
From: "edcarroll308" <ed.carroll@heartland.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:01:25 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1343660489; bh=yGEfVWp8x9Vjt2Y7H2c0BvUdhm+K0rZjchYrB2DJYP4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=gUUs93HEQUn8PDB/av3LOhZ14Bx4sKyoZE6jj5yxcp1JJRnk77yU2pMSrqD1bCj6eOIcrBAgCba6Zc0dfo0tqlcgS3L+FQjLUExDUbBXOKv8xX1pm20kobmHAwuvc9pz
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
This could indeed be a wheel from a wheat thresher because of the 29" size and
the center rib. I have tried to find a good shot of a steam tractor with a
wheat thresher. This site has a few years of photos and would be used to see
some examples of this design of wheel.
http://www.threshermen.org/2007showphotosFrame1Source1.htm

This has a steam tractor and a thresher, the wheels on the thresher would seem
to be about 29 or 30 inches. While a close examination shows these wheels to be
flat surfaced, I have seen the ridged wheels at Pontiac IL at the "Old
Thresher-man's Reunion" but I do not have a photo of those wheels.
http://www.wasco-history.r9esd.k12.or.us/comm/dufur/bee/thresh.html

As far as being a tensioner for a belt I have not seen ridged idler or
tensioner as it would cause wear to the belt. As you can--sort of---see on the
thresher the metal framework allows for pieces of metal to extend over or under
the belt with very small flat surfaced wheel(s)with a slight angle to help keep
the belt from slipping off. These small wheel usually look like sections from a
cone. As almost every one who has watched the steam tractors run the long belts
the engineer usually has a long wooden pole or paddle to slide the belt back
onto the center of the drive wheel (or more modernly -the power take-off).

As far as being a piece of railroad equipment I was wondering if any human
powered equipment would have used something like this for a fly wheel?  That is
all I have.

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com