[CBQ] Re: Burlington Sand Tower Question

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Burlington Sand Tower Question
From: "POOTUS2010" <bearmtnbob@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 23:02:36 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1334185360; bh=BWlsw3DbwdH+Urxo5YL9vKbiG0jTFLtzBi/tEpzNNI0=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=mz6xXYZ04sGiUQuXgbc40G3DJy7h/cSwMbQjki+dSOy7q1NjhRtN07tM/k9sOXxlT83zMrSiik5RXi/umdmsQ0JWIa+bxbwsb7DMElgEBnVxvPKdNcFJhK0gauJ3cOmH
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "POOTUS2010" <bearmtnbob@...> wrote:

> --- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "POOTUS2010" <bearmtnbob@> wrote:
> >

> > --- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "POOTUS2010" <bearmtnbob@> wrote:

> > > I had to both use and maintain both the sand tower and sandhouse while
> > > working at Rice Yard in Denver between 1976 and the day the yard was
> > > closed. Sand was delivered to me in the oldest, most decrepit covered
> > > hopper cars on the BN. Most were still in "Q" gray and much of the old
> > > lettering showed through the badly faded paint. The slide hopper jaws on
> > > the bottom of the car were distorted and mangled beyond belief and nearly
> > > impossible to operate without 1" thick prybars that were about 5' long,
> > > the sad part was that it took even more work to close them since that was
> > > only way to stop the sanf from leaking out. No matter where the waybill
> > > said the sand originated from, it was always damp and caked to insides of
> > > the car. The hundreds of dents on the sides of the car testified to the
> > > care and caresses applied lovingly with  5# sledge hammers across the
> > > system. The sand spur ran over a steel hopper adjacent to the sand
> > > storage house. The hopper led to a basement also adjacent to the storage
> > > house in which a large bin which fed the 25 foot bucket elevator belt
> > > lay. At one time the bin had a functioning air powered vibrator to help
> > > keep the sand flowing (don't remember that ever happening!) but in the
> > > last years of operation served as an easy way to knock yourself nearly
> > > unconscious when you walked into it in the usually dark room. I also had
> > > two natural gas burners which were supposed to be lit and directed at the
> > > bin to dry the sand before it proceeded to take its last ride up the
> > > elevator to parts unknown. since the only way to enter this room was
> > > through a 3'X3' mannhole and down about a 12' ladder, the only way to
> > > light off what looked like two small jet aircraft afterburners was leave
> > > the gas shut off at the source, position the burners, go above ground,
> > > just crack the gas on a little, then light balled up newspapers and hurl
> > > them into the basement somewhere close to the burners. Most of the time
> > > this worked well but as one might imagine, the gas kept building up when
> > > the newspaper "fuse" failed to work as intended. Luckily, yours truly had
> > > served in Vietnam as a combat MP and was well versed in hitting the dirt
> > > and digging in even further awaiting the main explosion as well as any
> > > secondary eruptions. More to follow in another posting.
> > >
> >  Sand Tower Follies continued.
> >
> > One evening, the inevitable occurred, we had a major fire, the result of
> > natural gas igniting when we tried to light the burners with a fusee (just
> > goes to show you what happens when you deviate from proven methods) One
> > Denver fire truck arrived after a call from the yardmaster Don >>>>> with
> > some sort of portable pumping apparatus that would allow them to pump water
> > from the adjacent Platte River (the old remaining roundhouse water outlets
> [...]
On occasion I tried to hurry the sand box filling process by notching the
motors up to RUN 3 and that was all well and good until the much higher volume
of air and sand mix being pushed through the old worn out system caused several
"geyser" to sprout where none had existed before. Several of these would have
been the envy of a Yellowstone National Park ranger, but I figured they just
saved me and my family a long drive North to see the real ones. I had to remain
close to the tower in case of a malfunction and since I worked the 11:00 - 7:00
a.m. shift, nodding and dozing was not all that difficult to accomplish.
Several times I came to with a sense of forboding, and sure enough, when my
pupils had dilated enough for me to see, there was often a half ton or more of
sand piling up on the short nose of a GP-30 or SD-40 and then cascading over
the walkways down into the diesel pit, which, when the sump pump wasn't running
had about 2-4 inches of mixed diesel fuel, new and used lube oil and water. i
would try to convince the Santa Fe engineers to leave the sand in place as the
weight would help with adhesion as the engines climbed the stiff grade out of
Denver to the Palmer Lake Divide. Despite my advice, they always chose to go
without the added sand, and I must in all fairness add that they always helped
to shovel it off. I also suggested on occasion that they close all the windows,
put on respirators and  take the consist out on the mainline and run to the
depot and back several times to blow it off but they never were able to see the
inherent wisdom of my ideas. Next - the indignant Bum that fell into the grease
skimmer, at 20 degrees above zero as well as the story of the nefarious
turntable builder's plate theives .

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com