[CBQ] Mel Patrick Picture 49 (was Re: CB&Q "Bulington" Business car on t

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Mel Patrick Picture 49 (was Re: CB&Q "Bulington" Business car on the end of a Northern Pacific train??)
From: "domelinerdude" <domelinerdude@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2012 13:51:11 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1333893074; bh=x7RNbe9O/e1al7cM44vtMi0A6AXx77s9K5BfQ8HNMDY=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=XoaWfIE8RF4SJxh2paCtvrSQqCLcZEmxKDHIG4iHHaE9EE2oPf72uIj2eSU+oXjM/u4gVkzkkTmwRJf9tNkOKHXsUup1V543W6L+K+j+gxvPh4Qly5/Dul6t3gY5QKbz
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Stephen,

Good Question. When the Diner-Parlor-Observation cars began service on the
Kansas City Zephyr, sometime around or after 1960 replacing the Vista Dome
Parlor Observation cars, photos reveal the KCZ was operating back and forth
between KCY and Chicao without being turned  on a wye in KC on the Kansas City
Terminal. Presumably to reduce switching costs. (Photos indicate this operating
practice began earlier with the variety of Vista Dome Observations still in
service on the KCZ in the late 50's.)

 Thus you see many photos of the early sixties edition of the KCZ with the
parlor diner Obs up against the RPO operating backwards and leading a dome
coach (built for the TCZ usually)and other equipment.

I suspect, based on photographs, the diaphram striker plate was added to the
Observation end of the Diner Parlor Obs cars in the early sixties for mid-train
service (between head end and coaches, etc.) on Q passenger trains such as the
KCZ and others.

Hubert

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com