[CBQ] Re: C&S branch lines in southeast Colorado and northern New Mexico

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: C&S branch lines in southeast Colorado and northern New Mexico
From: "Jonathan Harris" <jonathanharris@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 14:57:50 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1327244296; bh=CrT2LoMm1qrddzD75ToNF9G6u94cv9qJUR9TN9781zA=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=oCz0dMV/lYTDy7vFrOOqWmBt1gU4K24gvtp3PAY9mN5jO7snfxNiJ6w3nLMbjGMPgvZ8zVMiu2PcGSykyo2unGOItGc+IHUKNKUDSqn4NSQG5g72oT9Ej0eSSvNsZSkj
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Thanks for the detailed description (lucky you!). You didn't perchance bring a
camera, did you? I'm curious about the geology, vegetation and buildings. Form
your mention of cowboys and cows, I suppose there was some grass or high desert
steppe. My map suggests pinyon-juniper grading up into pine-doug fir in that
region. The latter presumably provided the early sawmills, but I wonder what
they used for the charcoal industry. If they were just using scrap from the
sawmills, it wouldn't make very good charcoal, would it? Maybe they were using
the burls, though, which would be denser and make hotter-burning coals. Or
perhaps there was oak or chaparral species around, some of which have pretty
dense wood.

Those high desert / high plains ghost towns with just concrete and stone
buildings are some of the creepiest places, with none of the warmth of decaying
wooden buildings. Did they use sandstone for any buildings, as they did in some
of the eastern Colorado towns? (BTW, is the sandstone there more yellow, red,
or a mixture?). And did you see any evidence of adobe construction? I've
wondered to what extent the C&S penetrated the southwestern/hispanic culture
region. It's right on the edge of that area and I haven't really seen any
physical evidence of it.

Thanks again,
Jonathan

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com