[CBQ] Re: Orange waycar - origins

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Orange waycar - origins
From: "Gerald Edgar" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 20:03:08 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1325966589; bh=T5fxrLBZMHENfUhDzdSUakBkr+1Q2nA/bnK6HiqBSyw=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=dgaKDiLMFK3VFQAwzI+aL6iOmnFrdtfPjIQ1SxygcY9ueQTYPn75I5RLStYZVud15I4BCXMVTdA2PGZYAbwyRq/LkOM0uTITDk6mJUkfoPYTMxN2OiW428WcuceIlVwg
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Tks Hol.  When I used the term 'safety' orange it was in the sense that the Q
along with other RR's, the AAR, FRA, etc became more "safety" conscious
post-WWII.  A common problem on many RR's that did not differentiate the color
of MoW equipment, etc was that crews sometimes coupled to them as if they were
freight cars and/or did no recognize at a distance they were NOT frt cars
resulting in unncessary injury to Emps and damage to specialized equipment.
Thus you started to see, in the interest of Safety, MoW equipment painted
orange, silver, etc to gain more 'attention' & visibility.  No doubt old
mineral red bunk cars got mishandled more than orange ones esp. in an era when
colors on a RR, other than boxcar or mineral red, were uncommon.
The sdafety aspect is mentionded in post-WWII Q publications as well as in the
general RR press and among Safety Mgrs.  Gerald

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com