Re: [CBQ] Re: The Elmwood branch at Buda

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: The Elmwood branch at Buda
From: ralph linroth <wcman8@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 10:59:02 -0700 (PDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1301594351; bh=Rup2rIrhRID5Uey6nu0Xppu4bZc1YtveSDxyub+ujgY=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=e1ioaD/TFu8Bu5egm0g0q6dIdIrPyz5M9UTcxM3Rd1G+KHfTHypHf2N1Wq/HqHdyz9BuPa7aWonRxipoTM3krMNCBk8Xy4KUoQatgECmluRXzS6qozfH2+uo5X7hntb3
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Paul, Steve, and Bob,

I worked this line in the early 1970's and we handled mostly empty coal racks
the Stonefort (we called it Sherwood,) mine pulled the loads and returned to
Yates City where the job was headquartered.    Most of the coal went to
Galesburg but some went to Peoria.

In the middle 1970's the BN installed about 10 miles of recycled ribbon rail
between Duncan and Wyoming.  In the late 1970's the BN started proceedings to
abandon the line but needed to show a loss on the line.  They decided to
rebuild
a wooden trestle bridge just north of Wyoming and soon the company was able to
show a loss and the line was abandoned.

Prior to 1970, the C&NW came in from the north and switched the Stonefort mine
too.  The track between Elmwood and Duncan was 10 MPH and the ribbon-rail
section was 25 MPH.  I remember during the bad winter around 1978 they ran the
old wedge type snow plow up the branch and we got stuck many times due to not
being able to build up any speed to hit the drifts.  The section had to come
dig
us out by hand many times.  When we were leaving Monica (where the ATSF
Transcon
crossed), we hit a drift just north of the elevator track switch several times
with no luck.  The Road Foreman and Trainmaster went into the elevator to use
the telephone and came out with instructions to remove all of us from the
engine.  They then proceeded towards the drift and suddenly the smoke was
belching out of the stacks.  I don't know at what speed they hit the drift but
they returned with just the engine.  We got a cab ride home and they ordered up
a rotary snow plow from out west.

I only made it to Lombardville once and Bradford twice.  Crews were not sent
beyond Lombardville starting in about 1971-72.

R. W. "Bud' Linroth