Re: [CBQ] Railroad Fact

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Railroad Fact
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 19:02:06 -0800 (PST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1299985337; bh=W7larnIiOk5i5FwtTGd9IPUnujOI8JJPZ3RskIECkDg=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=ZbTde0q54mlKGx5L5z7iEBJzn+WJQ6R0sDmsahbuUkNiH9TxHkwlvlG4sWntrwOfmLQi9ZAA8F9/UZxL+sCIZj7OeDbL3HvDkBlVfohmuo6J5UQqUxKBdEL3bDx1SioB
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Coal is about twice as heavy as water per cubic unit (remember coal is a rock
that burns) and there was no general ratio of coal to water weight on steam
engine's tenders. It had more to do with the amount of water used relative to
coal. In general, steam engines made more water stops than fuel stops. For
example, an average switch engine would take water twice or three time per
shift and maybe coal only at shifts end. A lot of factors played into this like
how good of condition the engine was in, the skill of the engineer and fireman,
the quality of the coal and water, how hard the engine was being worked, the
type of service and if the engine was superheated or not.

 Three  examples of lakes owned by the railroad: Raccoon Lake at Centralia, "Q"
Lake at Cambon and Burlington Lake at Herrin Junction.