RE: [CBQ] help with historical research

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] help with historical research
From: "Dave Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 15:40:26 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1295815258; bh=91BDxQNv8p2rJAWTxYCyHAFigIt/A2h4gsB5uKWcgEw=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:To:Message-ID:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:Importance:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=lNEM4PFuc8qXA/lXl6uRZZlRPHEVI2NKJ0xDIl30v93yjN444Zc6o6tZ5CwQYG4IsFw7XIR8aE7F60PoWUAnFKGYtCVQfE/uT/Uapn1N3V6fL1b3CpXQb2uiWL+SLDMW
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hi Duncan,

I just happen to have my Baldwin History out, and according to it, the first
work was grading work on the Canton & Bloomfield in 1860.  The first rails
were laid by the Mississippi & Missouri River Air-Line Railroad Company,
which bought the Canton & Bloomfield.  According to Baldwin, 15 miles were
constructed immediately west of Canton by April 1861 and were opened for
traffic.  However, this line was seized by the US military authorities in
June of 1861 and the track and equipment were removed.  This line was never
reconstructed or used by this company or its successors.

Further grade work was done early in 1870 by the post-war consolidated
Mississippi & Missouri River Air-Line Railroad Company on it's line between
West Quincy and Canton until December 1870, but laid no tracks.  In January
1871, the M&MRALRR consolidated with the Mississippi Valley & Western
Railway Company, taking the latter's name.  They immediately began grade
work from Canton north to Buena Vista.  Construction trains were run between
West Quincy & La Grange after February 1, 1871, but was not officially
opened for traffic until April 5, 1871.

Buena Vista to Canton - Mississippi Valley & Western Railroad - Started
1871 - commenced 6/24/1872

Keokuk to Buena Vista  - from 6/25/1872 to 3/1882, the Q had trackage rights
over the Keokuk & Des Moines (CRI&P) - then during 1881-1882 the St. Louis,
Keokuk & Western Railway Co. built their own line.

West Quincy to Mark (Moody) was over the H&St. Joe.

Mark (Moody) to Hannibal - Mississippi Valley & Western Railroad (post-war)
completed 3/29/1874

Hannibal to Louisiana - Started by the Mississippi Valley & Western Railroad
(post-war), completed by the St. Louis, Keokuk & Western Railway Co.
5/29/1876

Louisiana to Clarksville - Started by the Clarksville & Western Railroad Co.
1870-73, completed by the St. Louis, Keokuk & Western Railway Co. 1/15/1877

Clarksville to Cuivre Jct. -  Started by the Clarksville & Western Railroad
Co. 1870-73, completed by the St. Louis, Keokuk & Western Railway Co.
8/11/1879

Cuivre Jct. to St. Louis - St. Louis, Keokuk & Western Railway Co. 3/4/1894

Dave