RE: [CBQ] help with historical research

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] help with historical research
From: "Dave Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 16:10:11 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1295817029; bh=KpDqGRIR9sAzPic96saCv1PEkICzYlWg2krDsCsMVIA=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:To:Message-ID:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:Importance:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=iesTcZJcbPECdA/HzrVm2pZrmDfE3aWrtcqDN5LXJJ2X8Tp4VYeQRBdf606YibDCLsJ3xjV3YS6v/kwJo7MK7NHCMxsP71SPUM1OxSx8Ls0m0j6BB7j34788QqtB2liH
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
LOL!  I had just finished proofreading an article on the Wyoming lines and
was using the Baldwin History to validate the building companies and dates.

>From what I understand, Congress enacted an act March 1, 1913 for the ICC to
do a valuation of all the nations railroads.  The CB&Q's Vice President at
that time, W. W. Baldwin, was responsible for creating a Corporate History
of the CB&Q as a part of this valuation effort.  What was published, as a
result, is a four volume set of books, three with all of the corporate
documentation of this history, and one 488-page, 12" x 9" book with maps and
"summary" histories on all of the predecessor CB&Q lines.  The general
format is a map of an area showing the lines that portion of the book covers
with a key showing each segment's completion and any trackage rights.  It
then follows with a chronological table of corporations for that segment,
and the following descriptive paragraphs for each of them:

Incorporation
Organization
Termini & Description
Construction
Operation
Trackage Rights
Acquisitions
Change of name or Consolidation
Corporate Existence
Corporate Records
Chain of Title

A society volunteer has scanned this book into digital format with eventual
plans for  the BRHS to sell them to members after we get some publications
out.

Dave