[CBQ] FW: "40's color pics //2010 Slides!

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] FW: "40's color pics //2010 Slides!
From: Gerald Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 11:42:25 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1292435019; bh=ZGM2DGIq9ahEn8yt20r3M8VJznuNNiFGpDC8S6h8WnY=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=GmxquYNJ1t8kQTR420dXtiwn326XOR/0ZVquwZOrjyYRBaRbxt1G+YT+T3JRyn+K+rbq1wk9NQvxK0EkOJIhRxBrs5Sf2oQwNlAOBp83t0DmntKyNbqHBSKSCDZiGuIm
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Several superb RR views but mostly C&NW.  However pic #48 has a Q box with
"Everywhere West" script - 3rd from R plus all the RR photos help with modeling
details for that era.

Now you can see why GOOD slide film (Kodachrome) lasts forever with beautiful,
warm color (some of these are 70 yrs old!!!)

Speaking of which, as mentioned in last Zephyr, Kodachrome slide film was
discontinued by Kodak and the last location able to develope same (Dwayne's
Photo of Parsons, KS) will stop accepting film on Dec. 30.  I am finishing my
last roll (using a Canon Pellix F1.2/55mm main lens plus possibly some wide
angle & telephoto lense use as well) on Christmas w/e along the Q near Dubuque.
 If anyone cares to join me, contact me off list.  One view I will take is a
2010 version of a historic 40's photo by Vachon taken @ E. Dbq showing TCZ
coming into the depot.  He is one of the group of photographers hired by the
Federal Gov't in the 30's/40's to document American life, etc.   One of his
counterparts, Jack Delano, is well known for his RR photos during WWII burt
Vachon was his equal.  (both men have slides in the link below)

I expect to take a good view of the IC/Q E. Dbq depot - easier to do now that a
tree that had overgrown on S end has been removed  Also the diamond @ W portal
of the tunnel and an original 1886 CB&N stone viaduct under the tracks just
north of E. Dubuque (then known as Dunleith).  Will also take you to
unbelievable view atop the bluff with tunnel underneath & RR bridge at your
feet and the old Dubuque Star brewery across the river whuch was at end of the
CB&N/CB&Q spur off IC tracks serving industry along the Dubuque shore including
Dubuque Boat & Boiler Works, now part of the National River Museum (ex-CB&N
depot there as well)

NOW for those of you who read this far: a prize!  Your choice of a 1960 CB&Q or
C&S/FtW&D system TT, mailed to the home of the Q fan who 1st answers correctly:
 In the good 'ol days (1940-1950's) before all the mergers & abandoments, which
RR had the most interchange points with the Burlington?  Seems like a very
simple question doesn't it?

I gleaned the answer from a more authoritive source than an Offical Guide - a
1940's CB&Q book used internally by the Burlington to handle foreign cars on
line; i.e. where were they to be interchanged, codewords for car types, which
NON-connecting lines were considered likely sources for interchanged equipment
(good info for modeling) etc etc.  Will share all of this next week as part of
my tradition of unique Q data @ Christmas time.

vje68@hotmail.com

Gerald

This was America from 1939 to 1943...like me, many of you will remember these
days...thanks to the Library of Congress, color photos like these are preserved
forever. Near the end you'll see an America gearing up for war -- great photos
of an early P-51 and a training glider.
Enjoy and pass these on to younger people.
Click the below from the Denver Post.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/07/26/captured-america-in-color-from-1939-1943/2363/

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com