[CBQ] Re: Strauss books

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Strauss books
From: Denny Anspach <danspach@macnexus.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 10:28:48 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1286559497; bh=Nh7v00E/GIps39KFm1DiAQdcYTVh/wrLdQfn+v8fLDk=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Spam-Checker-Version:X-Spam-Level:X-Spam-Status:X-Spam-CMAE-Analysis:X-Received:X-Received:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Ia2llcPC0eRRZDKge1p8dsZC819BTyK/c7AXFTTX7mJhGUGC9jb9eOwMTR9OSymWGaGZYHMYAOZWVjzvijOXIBW/tIxW+55BfEjVfflxuYnFd6JRMcOvOG/YmwdJIqYu
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
> We don't need to be bashing authors unless we have
> done the necessary research, written something better on the
> subject, had it
> published and reviewed by the RR community at large.

Well, I would think that "we" (whoever "we" may be) *do* have a right
to criticize authors who produce books absent fact checking, citation
of sources, and lack of any obvious editing or fundamental peer
review.  So far Strauss, in the plethora of books that he is
authoring, has not shown any proclivity to embrace any of these
things, and in his multiple Milwaukee books, he has managed to spread
an awful lot of careless misinformation.   The worst thing is that
books such as these tend to blot out the market for years for those
following who would do far better.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento