Re: [CBQ] Q lettering diagram for 4 window 30' waycar

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Q lettering diagram for 4 window 30' waycar
From: "cvlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:42:50 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1281462229; bh=QcKLPz07SMVPsX6Ei307/F+jGmQQHiw/c6gpqBZBQvg=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=FRGDy3tXqcEAmAK/NSnDX0uuJUEp1HlR3ZaP/YxfVfAJe7O7XSstshKP3tbxGrRUiDIcNLZVLrIVl8UT7M5lwExoWwJZe0j4HWyj584RGpRya6lpQJHKUcWsi+vVSThS
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Adding to Tim's request....

We need to locate CB&Q drawings for Railroad Roman lettering in general.....
for freight cars, passenger cars, and locomotives.    I cannot beleive that all
the drawings for the alpha and numeric characters eluded preservation.

Years ago I secured the Q drawings for the Budd Zephyr font and my artwork was
used by Marshall Thayer when he presented the early shovelnose drawings in
Model Railroad Craftsman.   Subsequently, Micro-Scale did the Zephyr font in
decals as well.   I used it for the Nickel Plate Products "Aeolus" decal
lettering artwork.   The "Ribbon-Style" font was done by Micro-Scale but I am
not sure what was used to create it beyond photos as I have never seen any CB&Q
drawings covering that style.

Note that there are some painting and lettering drawings (P&L, sometimes called
"styling" drawings) but those usually do not show the accurate shape of
lettering, just a cartoon of the placement on the car or locomotive.   There
are separate references to the alpha and numeric characters (usually a
different set for each letter size and often different for freight, passenger
and locomotive applications).  In addition to these there were also full size
"stencil" drawings which reproduce the lettering at 1:1 .... these tend to get
a little large as sometimes the lettering stretched out 20 feet or more
depending on the application.

Somebody has to have such drawings..... I would like to borrow them for
digitization and making up accurate artwork and fonts for future models (and,
in Tim's case, restoration of actual equipment).  It is possible to work from
photos to reproduce such lettering but it would be nice to have the official
CB&Q drawings as a resource.

Charlie Vlk