Re: [CBQ] Stock Scale Layout

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Stock Scale Layout
From: STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 06:54:46 -0700 (PDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1276955699; bh=sXzz8Q8Zx9WoLANwTpzL2ogPzIq9UEw7n2wHCxuKsPc=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=cx1jakXYOmk5YiZqCVegia1Crjf5m2zwJxn7PoC+Y7+6kzyjqZQEnsWpH/QFFk3YcqGRltjhZm+iheYH/1f/zQBwSJb2fKwjVFPe9qXwMCMrrC2wZl1mQ7VCpf01MIRj
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Some small town yards may not have had a scale with the livestock being
weighted at a transit yard(Galesburg and or Montgomery) Where they were off
loaded rested and fed before the push on to Chicago and interchange or to the
Stockyards.
I have paper work from Roseville,Ill. and the hogs were moved unweighted to
Galesburg by truck and weighed, fed and reloaded into rail cars for movement
east.
BB#25 Page 20-21 shows the scale right at the foot of the truck ramp.  Unload
right into scale.
IF they came in by rail car the stock would have been unloaded into pens 6-7
and or 1-2.  once unloaded moved thru the scale counted and then into a pen or
loaded out
Page 22 shows the stock yard at Mt. Pleasant, Iowa.  Only one rail chute, Scale
right next to office.  Carloads coming in or out if more then one, the train
crew would have to stick around and respot cars as they were loading or
unloading(note to modelers who operate)Often the train crew would help so they
could get on down the run.
Stock sales were by live weight.  This could be changed by putting the
livestock in a pen with water to fill the stock with water(Watered down prices)
as stock would shrink(lose weight) being off feed and coped up in the rail car
or truck.  This may also have been the reason for the covered pens to keep hogs
shaded/cool(unstressed) and not allow rain to cause mud and mud caked hogs
would weight more then clean ones.  Same with muddy cattle.
The list on pages 32-35 does not show where stock scales were at. Just size of
yard and number of carloads they would handle. Due to date I would say only
single deck 40 foot cars.  In later years when I worked we saw 40-50 foot cars
and often double-deckers which would tax the capacity in some cases.  You can
bet there was a stock pen of some kind at just about every station along the
lines.  Often even those with out an agent.(Fox, Ill)
Also the reason some tracks still carried the names years after the facility
was not there.  Stock track, House track, Scale Track, cleanout track etc.
At Montgomery stock arriving was first unloaded.  Then run thru the scale,
counted and then penned where it could get feed and water.  Then you took the
scale tickets and attached a copy with the  count to the weightbill for the
agent to process.(one reason I do not count sheep to go to sleep)
Steve in SC