[CBQ] RE: Inspecting Stock & Track scales

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] RE: Inspecting Stock & Track scales
From: Gerald & Virginia Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 14:40:42 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1276976462; bh=+QLzc72e4y2awOOEEvsGvHBLlOo1FB8SgK/IKutznfo=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=G1S++JNdqwgMwixJZqP6PtOdXSwEMuarE0TzUuNrW9qn2WznKaXDi+NLcnZSPOKEoaLqiJLpqwJ/ZaXLebaLHDBNov8q1Lc2EDJ+MISy2KhFa2CBgwhxjDq1kWgap6Y6
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Yes - I am aware of the difference but my understanding was that B&B Emps
checked both kinds as I have CB&Q forms made out for same (i.e. inspection of
stock scales vs. rail scales).  I also have the CB&Q-issued Wool Checker books
which have scale info.

I mentioned the scale cars (used for track scales of course) just as an example
of how involved certifying was/is.  The Western Weighing & Inspection Bureau
(WWIB) also had their own scale cars for on-line industries or for use by
smaller RR's.

Fairbanks-Morse also has (& still does) send inspectors out to ck stock yard
scales.  Some of my safety career has been spent in meatpacking so I've had
good visits with old F-M men who also check rail scales for on-line industries
(more so in yrs past).  USDA can & will ask for such verification as will large
shippers/customers.  A couple #'s either way multiplied by 1000's of head of
livestock is a BIG loss for the packer or the ranchers depending on who the
scale is favoring.

As was mentioned earlier, repair of scales is costly.

Gerald